To listen to your body and respect how it feels is a powerful act of self-love.
- Sonia Choquette
Kristin Jones is a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) who has been working in this space since before it was AltaVie Integrated Family Health as she had the honour of working with Dr Pam Carlson before we amalgamated. She spent her first few years as a massage therapist gaining a wide variety of experiences in an array of settings, from multidisciplinary clinics to yoga studios and heli-ski lodges. She brought her diverse experience to the Okanagan in 2015 and is excited to serve the families of Kelowna. She is proud to have completed the two-year Foundational Training in Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy (BCST). Through her BCST training, Kristin acquired acute perception skills that may assist the body to move out of a pattern of pain and trauma. She uses safe touch to facilitate the body’s wisdom to move through its natural healing processes into more wholistic health and wellness. She is invested in assisting the whole family unit and respects their interconnectivity but is particularly keen on supporting newborns and their mothers (throughout their preconception, prenatal, and postnatal journey). She is also interested in visceral (organ) and somato-emotional health (how the body responds to emotions within the tissue).
Kristin is designated as a Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapist through her training with Body Intelligence, which consists of 50 days of training over a 2-year period. The Body Intelligence training focuses on gaining perceptual hands-on skills to attune to the subtler, yet deeper, patterns of experience in the body to create an authentic change in the system as a whole. Kristin is also designated as a Registered Craniosacral Therapist with the Pacific Association of Craniosacral Therapists (PACT).
Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy (BCST) is accredited through the Pacific Association of Craniosacral Therapists (PACT), which is a professional body that maintains standards of practice for Craniosacral Therapists. This association was formed in 2000 and supports the growing number of BCST therapists and their clients. PACT holds a high standard for their members through continuing education courses, which keeps practitioners up to date with the latest research and techniques for BCST work. They also encourage "old" members and mandate that new members partake in mentorship and supervision to further their skills and knowledge from an experienced practitioner. PACT has strict membership criteria, meaning that clients can be confident that a member of the association is a skilled practitioner committed to the education and growth of BCST work.
BCST is also recognized by the Association of Natural Health Practitioners of Canada (NHCP). This organisation sets competency-based standards for modalities based in the natural health field.
The training is also a member of the International Affiliation of Biodynamic Trainings (IABT), which consists of an affiliation of schools who set an agreed upon set of standards in BCST courses. Member schools offer the designation Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapist to graduates of foundation training programs, such as Body Intelligence. They also offer a postgraduate designation Advanced Biodynamic Diploma (ABD) indicating an additional 300 hours of training which Kristin is currently pursuing!
BCST is a non-invasive light touch therapy that takes the whole body into consideration. Much of this work involves a focus on the Nervous System, which is key in maintaining communication and balance within the body. Her passion for BCST work has ignited a curiosity to take many more continuing education courses but below you can find a list of some of the courses that she has completed!
Here is a "short-list" of some of Kristin's qualifications:
- Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) from Okanagan Valley College of Massage Therapy in Vernon B.C.
- Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy Two-Year Foundation Training Diploma from Body Intelligence in Vernon B.C.
- Craniosacral Therapy Techniques for the Head and Neck
- Fascial Balancing for Newborns
- Temporal Mandibular Joint (TMJ) Dysfunction Workshop
What to expect during a BCST treatment:
- You will be fully clothed. Wear something that you or your newborn feel comfortable in.
- Before your session we will go over your health history and chief complaints to personally tailor the session for you and/or your newborn.
- You will be treated on a massage table. There will be heaps of pillows to get you in the most comfortable position.
- When treating a newborn, we may find a position on Mom or Dad depending on the comfort level of your child.
- I will place my hands on different areas of the body with very light touch and hold them there for a sustained period of time. Together we will create dialogue to better understand and feel what your body is presenting with that day.
- When treating your newborn I will verbally communicate how their system is responding, when shifts occur, or when support from Mom or Dad may be needed.
- After the hands on portion of the treatment is done, we will take a few minutes to come back down to Earth. Once landed, we will discuss any exercises or body awareness techniques that you can practice to support yours or your newborns system
To learn more about the Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy training that Kristin took, check out Body Intelligence.
Kristin grew up in the interior of BC and has been adventuring in the woods ever since. When she’s not dedicating her time floating around in the world of Craniosacral, you can find her hiking, canoeing, camping, travelling, or walking aimlessly through the snow somewhere in the forest. She is also passionate about art and connecting with new and old ways to support sustainable living, culture, and connection. Her and her partner live in Lake Country and enjoy being surrounded by the many lakes that the Okanagan has to offer.
RMT Kristin Jones' practice focuses on serving patients through biodynamic craniosacral therapy (BCST). She is accepting new patients of all ages and orientations who are exclusively looking to add BCST to their health regime. She also has two days a week open for perinatal massage (preconception, prenatal, and postnatal massage).
As a Registered Massage Therapist, we are able to bill directly to extended medial benefits for treatments even when they consist strictly of craniosacral massage. As mentioned above, Kristin also works with pregnant and postnatal massage clients. We also have two other massage therapists who work with the perinatal population: Hilary Krumm (for prenatal and postnatal massage) and Jen Cuddington (for Upledger CST for infants and adults & manual massage from kids and perinatal women). If you are not sure what the best fit is for you, please give our office a call (778-484-4414) and we will help connect you with a qualified RMT either in or out of our practice.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
- Lao Tzu