Chiropractic care has many health benefits and is especially important for kids. As their bodies are growing, we have a powerful window of opportunity to have a heightened impact on their health potential. The primary goal of wellness care is to support a thriving life experience.
Benefits of Regular Chiropractic Care for Kids
- Helps bones, muscles, and joints grow strong. Children are going through rapid growth. The bones form their strength based on the stresses that are put on them - from muscles pulling and from weight-bearing. The receptors in the joints and the muscles develop feedback systems important for proprioception, balance, and motor control. Because our bodies are so incredibly capable of adapting (especially as children), if something is not working or moving properly, we develop compensation patterns. These compensation are not typically painful at first but there is a cost eventually. Because these feedback systems are still developing in children, they are unlikely to complain. Restoring proper movement patterns while their body learns is "default" helps set up a strong foundation.
- Health nervous system checkups. Just like going to the dentist on a regular basis to check your teeth, chiropractors can be an important part of your family's health care team by periodically checking in on your child's spine and nervous system.
Reasons to Schedule a Check-Up
- Fussy baby / colic / reflux / gas
- Hates tummy time
- Not reaching developmental milestone (rolling, sitting, crawling, walking)
- Falls or injury
- Growing pains
- Struggles with anxiety or anger (poor emotional regulation)
- Any complaints of pain
- Physical struggles or imbalances (hold head tilted to one side, “runs funny”, pigeon toed, persistent toe walking, clumsiness)
Recommended Wellness Schedule
Just like going to the dentist for a check-up a couple times a year can help keep your mouth healthy and catch problems early, taking your healthy kids to the chiropractor (even when they're not complaining) is a very healthy habit.
|Baby’s First Visit||For a well baby, we recommend baby's first visit be within first month, as soon as you are comfortable leaving the house.
If there are any active problems, schedule as soon as possible.
|Well-Baby Visits||Vary depending on individual situation, usually about once a month until walking because everything changes so quickly.
At each developmental milestone marker (rolling, sitting, crawling, walking) or at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months.
|Well-Child Visits||Every 1 to 6 months, depending on individual situation.|
It’s never too early (and it is never too late) to start chiropractic care. Our chiropractors are experienced at working with newborns, preemies, and "difficult" babies.
If you're interested in more information about chiropractic care and your children, check out the following links: